2008 - 2008
2008 Major Accomplishments
- “Can We Talk” continues in Great Falls
- Humanities Montana receive a $76,000 “Congressionally-directed grant” from the US Department of Education thanks to Senator Max Baucus, to “continue civic education programs.”
- Grants include “Facing the Storm: the Story of the American Bison,” “The Write Question,” “The Tenth Amendment: Do State Really Matter?”, “Religion, Violence and Law—A Community Forum on Islam in Central and Southwest Asia,” and “Our Lives Along the River: Discussions of Yellowstone River Valley Life.”
- One Book Montana selection is Kirby Larson’s Hattie Big Sky.
- Montana Library Association honors Humanities Montana as a “special friend of libraries.”
- New website, new online grant and other applications.
- Humanities Montana hosts annual conference of state humanities council program directors.
- Montana Festival of the Book features Thomas McGuane, Andre Dubus, Mary Clearman Blew, James Lee Burke, Rick Bass, William Kittredge and Annick Smith.
- Executive Director Mark Sherouse announces his retirement, effective in 2009; board appoints Kim Anderson acting executive director.